Slottsbacken, Stadsholmen (Gamla stan)
Stockholm.

The Swedish Royal Palace replaces the Tre Kronor royal fortress which was destroyed by a fire. The Kungliga Slottet was built in its place in 1754 and has 608 rooms and three museums. It has an Italian Baroque style and the inner decor is rich in colour. Guided tours of the palace are available and it is used to host parties and official receptions held by the royal family.

A popular tourist attraction at the palace is the Changing of the Guards which takes place in the outer courtyard of the palace at 12:10 p.m. or 1:10 p.m. on Sundays and bank holidays from June to August or at 12:10 p.m. on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays during the rest of the year.

Guided tours include a visit to the Three Crowns Museum which is located in the basement of the palace. This museum displays a collection of heirlooms from the former palace, the Treasury and Gustav III’s Museum of Antiquities.

Stockholm guide | Historical buildings in Stockholm

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.