Plaza Mayor, s/n

Madrid

Plaza Mayor square, formerly known as Plaza del Arrabal has a long history which dates back to the 15th century when it became the main market area for villages outside the city walls. The popularity and commercial activity of the square increased significantly when the Spanish Parliament was established in Madrid in 1561. However, in 1617 King Felipe III arranged a renovation and renewal of the old square and from that moment on it was named Plaza Mayor.

The square continued to be used for commercial purposes, but other events were also held in the square, such as bullfighting and public executions. Some of the first shops which were set up in Plaza Mayor, located in the historic quarter of the city, still remain to this day. Craft shops, handmade hats and fans shops or shops selling religious items, as well as the oldest bakery in Madrid can all be found in Plaza Mayor.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.