Calle Florida y Avenida Córdoba, San Nicolás, Buenos Aires.

The Pacific Galleries shopping mall was opened in 1895 and is renowned as one of the most beautiful buildings in the city. It is suitably located in Florida Street which is one of the main shopping areas in Buenos Aires.

Pacific Galleries originally housed a shop called Argentine Bon Marché, however, smaller shops and businesses later made there way into the shopping mall. The Buenos Aires Fine-Arts Museum was also founded within the galleries in 1896 and the offices for the Buenos Aires and Pacific Railway moved to the building in 1908.

In 1945 the building was completely refurbished and the offices were separated from the shopping centre. It was at this stage that the dome of the building, which covers a surface area of 450 square metres, was painted.

There are guided tour of the galleries which show the history of the building, the famous walls and the refurbishment which took place at the end of the 20th century. In 1989 the Pacific Galleries were declared a national historic monument.

Buenos Aires Guide

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.